Many Christians know the story of David and Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11 and 12) , but what is usually missed is that God did not define David by this incident . In fact if we read on the end of Solomon's life we can pick up on a few things about the character of God for those that are his.
9 Now the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice, 10 and had
commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other
gods; but he did not observe what the LORD had commanded. 11 So the LORD said to Solomon, “Because you have done this, and you have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you, and will give it to your servant. 12 Nevertheless I will not do it in your days for the sake of your father David, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son. 13 However, I will not tear away all the kingdom, but I will give one tribe to your son for the sake of My servant David and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen.”
1 Kings 11 : 9-13
Ok so first thing we notice is that God appeared to Solomon twice on this issue (9-10) , that right there is a good life lesson that anytime we get into messes we can know that at some point God tried to warn us about them. But now we can get to the points of this post , Solomon despite not really serving the Lord will be spared while alive because David is his father . There is a good point in here for any of us with children , this shows us that because of our relationship with the Lord our children can receive blessings even if they purposely disobeyed the Lord. The other thing we can notice in here , is that David is not remembered for his sin with Bathsheba , we all know he did it but God does not remember him for it and if you listen to God here , if this was the only part of the Bible you ever read you would assume that David never sinned . This is good evidence for us to believe the Lord when he says that our sins and transgressions he will remember no more .I will leave you with a couple of scriptures on God's forgetfulness of our sins and on God's blessings to the children of those that love Him.
If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness
1 John 1 : 9
I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.
Isaiah 43 : 25
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household
Acts 16 : 31
but showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Exodus 20 : 6
No comments:
Post a Comment